Difference Between Silver and Sterling Silver

 

What is the difference between silver and sterling silver?

 

Silver vs. Sterling Silver

Sterling Silver and silver can often by described as the same thing, but in reality, sterling silver is only an alloy of silver and is much more hard wearing.  Silver, which is usually called fine silver, consists of 99.9% pure silver. On the other hand, sterling silver consists of approximately 92.5% silver, and the remaining 7.5% (or even more) is of other metals. Due to the high percentage of silver in ‘pure silver,’ it cannot be used to make those daily rough and tuff items.  Pure silver is too soft if it is to be made into jewellery.

 

Sterling Silver Bracelet

.925 Sterling Silver Chain

 

Sterling silver can easily lose its luster in many situations however pure silver, remains non-responsive to tarnish on its surface. This is because tarnish is more responsive in alloy metals. To test the tarnish tendency of a metal or alloy, you simply have to rub your finger tightly over a shiny piece of your sample material. In sterling silvers, you usually find some dull smudges on your skin. Nevertheless, you can keep your sterling silver items shiny by using a cloth or cotton to regularly and gently clean its surface. Moreover, if you do not use your sterling silver items for a prolonged period of time, you may notice that tarnish starts to appear.

Find out how to care for your sterling silver jewellery within any of our items at:

Home

Plain Large Link Bracelets

Sterling Silver and Sterling Silver Rose Gold Plated

 

Purchase #sterlingsilver jewellery from #bloomingcharms